New Delhi: ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) has discovered oil in the recently drilled well, Urraca-IX, in the CPO-5 block, Llanos Basin, Colombia.
Well, Urraca-1X was spudded on April 20, 2022, and drilled to a target depth (TD) of 10956 feet, encountering 17 feet thick oil-bearing sands at a depth from 10201 feet -10218 feet.
During initial testing with the Electrical Submersible Pump (ESP), fluid flowed at approximately 600 bbl./day with around 40-50% W/C and oil of 16oAPI. Oil discovery in the Lower Mirador play in this well opens up new areas for further exploration in the northern part of the block.
OVL is a wholly-owned subsidiary and overseas arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC), the National Oil Company of India. It had earlier discovered commercial oil in the Lower Sand pay in Mariposa and Indico fields in the block in 2017 and 2018 respectively, which are currently commercially producing @ 20,000 bbl oil per day.
Block CPO-5 was awarded to OVL in the 2008 bid round of Colombia. The company holds 70% participating interest (PI) in the block along with operatorship, the remaining 30% is held by partner Geopark.
OVL has a significant presence in the oil and gas sector in Colombia, with three other exploratory blocks in the country and joint ownership of the oil-producing company Mansarovar Energy Colombia Ltd (MECL).
Oil discovery in a new play in the block with the well Urraca-1X, reiterates the technical and operational prowess of ONGC Videsh and adds one more feather in its cap toward the extensive Exploration and Drilling campaign in Colombia, the Union Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas stated today.
Earlier also, in December 2020, OVL had made a significant strike of oil in its onshore block CPO-5, Colombia, in Llanos Basin. The well “Indico-2” lies approximately 0.9 km northwest of the well Indico-1 in the subsurface and was spudded on September 21, 2020. This was the fourth commercial find in the block by OVL.
CPO-5 is a large onland block covering an area of 1,992 SKM and offers multiplay Exploratory and Appraisal opportunities.
– global bihari bureau