New Delhi: Based on the prescriptions of 16 prominent Ayurveda practitioners (Vaidya) from across the country, the Union Ministry of Ayush on Tuesday, came out with recommendations that may “possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections such as COVID-19.
The vaidyas include Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar of Coimbatore, Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna of Delhi, Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh of Jamnagar, Acharya Balkrishna of Patanjali, Haridwar, among others.
The Ministry, while recommending their measures, made it clear that the advisory did not claim to be treatment for COVID-19.
Know how to use your own Homemade Reusable Face Cover
In an official note, it stated: “While there is no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measures which boost our immunity in these times.”
Ministry of AYUSH recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health, which are “supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications”.
Following are the recommended measures:
I General Measures
1. Drink warm water throughout the day.
2. Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH
3. Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
II Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
1. Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar
2. Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
3. Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk –
once or twice a day.
III Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
1. Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
2. Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do
not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by
warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
IV During dry cough / sore throat
1. Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds)
can be practiced once in a day.
2. Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3
times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
3. These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However,
it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual’s convenience, the Ministry stated. According to its official note, Ayurveda, being the science of life, propagates the gifts of nature in maintaining healthy and happy living. “Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge base on preventive care, derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily regimes and “Ritucharya” – seasonal regimes to maintain healthy life. It is a plant-based science. The simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony each individual can achieve by uplifting and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s classical scriptures,” it stated.